Sourdough Grissini (yields 3 x 16)
2 ½ cups bread flour (350 g)
1 cup water (225 g)
1 ½ tsp. salt
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 cup (250 g) active sourdough starter
Mix of coarsely ground salt, black pepper, and chopped fennel seeds or rosemary.
1. Combine dough ingredients in a bowl and briefly mix by hand or with mixer.
2. Turn dough onto counter (if kneading by hand), add water or flour to create a medium-soft dough; continue kneading or mixing for about 5 minutes.
3. Transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl, cover, and let rise for 2 hours.
4. Divide dough into three equal pieces.
5. On a well-floured counter or wooden pizza board, pat dough into a rectangle about 12 x 4 inches (30 x 10 cm).
6. Brush dough with olive oil, sprinkle with seasoning, lightly press seasoning into dough.
7. Cut the dough into 16 strips (pizza cutter works well).
8. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
9. Pick up each dough strip at its ends and slowly stretch it to the width of the baking sheet.
10. Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C).
11. Bake 25-30 minutes until nicely brown and very crisp.
12. Cool on a wire rack.