We found a recipe that looks like it will be a perfect match for our starters.
Rustic Sourdough Carrot Cake
Author: Marillyn Beard @ just-making-noise
1 cup sourdough starter, fed in the last 8 hours
2/3 cups coconut milk or regular milk
1 1/4 cup rapadura, coconut sugar or maple sugar
1 cup butter
1 Tbsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 cups carrots, shredded
1 1/2 cups pineapple, chopped
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, preferable soaked & dehydrated
1 cup coconut flakes, plus more
1. Mix together the sourdough starter, milk and flour. Cover and let it sour for 8 – 12 hours or overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 350° F and grease two 8 or 9 inch cake pans or a 9×13 pan and set aside.
3. In a different bowl, beat together sugar, butter, vanilla, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg. Add eggs and continue to beat well.
4. Combine the sourdough mixture with the wet batter and mix until smooth. Add in baking soda and stir.
5. Gently fold in carrots, pineapple, raisins, chopped nuts and coconut flakes.
6. Pour into prepared pans and bake for 30-45 minutes. Test with a toothpick in the center to see if it is done.
7. Remove from the oven and let it cool completely before tipping them out.
8. Whip up your choice of homemade frosting and frost the first cake, then put the second cake on top and frost.
9. Cover the frosting with coconut flakes, if desired. You can toast it beforehand for a nutty flavor.
Let us know what you think of this. Have a great time baking!