Makes 6 Popovers
1 cup milk (can use almond milk)
3 large eggs
1/2 cup sourdough Spelt starter, fed or unfed
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper or to taste
1/8 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 cup All-Purpose White Spelt Flour
- Warm the milk until it feels just slightly warm to the touch.
- Combine the warm milk with the eggs, sourdough starter and salt, crushed pepper and parmesan, then mix in the flour. Don’t over-mix; a few small lumps will be fine. The batter should be thinner than a pancake batter, about the consistency of heavy cream.
- Heat a muffin or popover pan in the oven while it’s preheating to 450° F.
- Carefully remove the hot pan from the oven, and spray it thoroughly with non-stick pan spray, or brush it generously with oil or melted butter. Quickly pour the batter into the cups, filling them almost to the top. If you’re using a muffin tin, fill cups all the way to the top. Space the popovers around so there are empty cups among the full ones; this leaves more room for expansion.
- Bake the popovers for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven heat to 375° F and bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, until popovers are golden brown.
- Remove the popovers from the oven and serve immediately.